Know How She Does It
Uncategorized

The stain that saved my mirror

Dark pieces of furniture can sometimes make the room seem smaller or crowded. This was the case of my Ikea “Mongstad” mirror. For years it was the best companion to the end of our hallway in the old apartment, helping this area feel ample. But now that we live in a house, I wasn’t able to find the right spot for it.

After giving it a thought, I decided to try sanding this mirror but knowing that it wasn’t real wood. Before embarking in this project, I first tested it on the back to see how this material will react to the sanding machine. I was impressed to find that it looked like real wood.
After sanding for a couple of minutes I gave this piece a light tint and I’m proud to say it looks amazing!

I love the final result and think it goes perfectly well with my fireplace and my wood floor. Don’t you think it is a truly miracle? This goes to prove that sometimes in life one have to take risks.

You Might Also Like...

6 Comments

Unknown
    September 28, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Great post – this is *exactly* what I was looking for – down to the stain color!!!! It really looks amazing! Would you mind sharing the exact stain brand/color so that I can full-on copy you??? Thanks so much!

Gloribell Lebron
    September 28, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Hi there! Good morning everyone! The #WoodStain I used for this mirror is #Varathane #wood stain in #Golden #Oak color from @homedepot (#LetsDoThis). I removed the old paint with a @RyobiPowerTools Random Orbit Sander using a 60 grit #Diablo #sandpaper and to finish it, a 200 grit one. Please let me know if you have any other questions and have a great #Saturday!

Pham Linh
    January 5, 2016 at 6:19 pm

Furniture is really a important element of an office and home which add style and beauty.Thanks for sharing this beautiful Furniture.

Tom Brady
    April 1, 2016 at 11:51 am

The house become more beautiful due to the furniture. Your post is great! Thank the author!

Kaitlyn Pacada
    November 16, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Hi! I started sanding the back of my mongstad mirror to test out a spot before sanding the whole mirror. The black color is coming off but underneath doesn’t look like wood. It will looks like compressed wood or something. Do I need to sand deeper? You mirror has visible wood grain on it but I’m not seeing that on mine.

Gloribell Lebron
      November 16, 2017 at 5:11 pm

Hello there! For this project I used a fine grade sanding paper (120-150). This only remove the top coat on the mirror’s frame. Still, if I were to sand to harshly in certain areas, I would get the underneath compress wood (and this happened to me). Another product I recently discover was the CitriStrip. Although I didn’t use this on my Ikea mirror, I’ve used it on both wood and compress materials and it had worked wonderful. Hope this helps, if not, please let me know. I’ll be more than happy to help!

Share your thoughts